|Jay Electronica Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||September 19, 1976|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Jay Electronica is an American rapper, record producer, and songwriter who is considered one of the greatest lyricists of his time. His discography consists of albums, mixtapes, extended plays, and tracks such as A Written Testimony, Act II: The Patents of Nobility (The Turn), Exhibit A (Transformations), Shiny Suit Theory (ft. The-Dream and Jay-Z), Act I: Eternal Sunshine (The Pledge), Style Wars, The Awakening, and Exhibit C. His debut album titled A Written Testimony was released in 2020 and it was nominated for a Grammy Award in the “Best Rap Album” category in 2021.
Timothy Elpadaro Thedford
Jay Electronica, Je’Ri, Elpadaro F. Electronica Allah
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Jay Electronica studied at St. Augustine High School, a private, Catholic, all-boys high school run by the Josephites in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Rapper, Record Producer, Songwriter
The Dogon Society, Roc Nation
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, his net worth had been $8 Million.
6 ft or 183 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jay Electronica has dated –
- Erykah Badu (2004-2009) – He started going out with singer, songwriter, record producer, and actor Erykah Badu in the year 2004 and they have a daughter named Mars Merkaba Thedford (b. February 1, 2009). The couple separated in 2009.
- Kate Emma Rothschild – He once had an affair with Kate Emma Rothschild, the wife of English financier and environmentalist Benjamin Goldsmith. This resulted in the breakdown of Goldsmith’s marriage.
Race / Ethnicity
Jay Electronica is of African-American descent.
He is a member of the Nation of Islam.
He accepted the teachings of Elijah Muhammad via the Five-Percent Nation in Atlanta before becoming a registered member of the Nation of Islam at its headquarters in Chicago.
Jay Electronica Facts
- He spent his childhood years growing up in the Magnolia Projects in New Orleans.
- In the late 1990s, Jay Electronica left New Orleans as a young adult and intended to shift to New York City. However, he took a stop in Atlanta where he was struck by “all the now hiring signs because of the Olympics.”
- On March 13, 2020, he released his debut studio album A Written Testimony through Roc Nation. The album received critical acclaim and writing for Entertainment Weekly, Marcus J. Moore called it “an accomplished album with decent rewind factor, but it feels somewhat hampered by the seismic impact of the rapper’s work a decade ago.” However, certain controversial lyrics have been characterized as anti-Semitic.
- A Written Testimony peaked at number #8 on the US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard) chart and at number #12 on the US Billboard 200. Moreover, the album was included in several lists including Billboard‘s “Top 50 Best Albums of 2020”, Complex‘s “Best Albums of 2020”, and PopMatters‘ “The 60 Best Albums of 2020”.
- Jay Electronica’s 2nd studio album Act II: The Patents of Nobility (The Turn) was released on October 5, 2020, and it features guest appearances from Jay-Z, The-Dream, Serge Gainsbourg, Charlotte Gainsbourg, The Bullitts, and LaTonya Givens. It includes songs like Patents of Nobility, Better in Tune With the Infinite (ft. LaTonya Givens), Memories & Merlot, The Shiny Suit Theory (ft. Jay-Z and The-Dream), Bonnie and Clyde, Welcome to Knightsbridge, Dinner at Tiffany’s (ft. Charlotte Gainsbourg), and A Letter to Falon.
Featured Image by The Come Up Show / Flickr / CC BY 2.0